5 Tips for Finding the Right Personal Injury Lawyer for Your Needs
Distracted driving is a big problem throughout the United States. It has been estimated that there are about 660,000 people driving around while manipulating electronic devices, phones or music systems at any given moment during the day. In 2014, about 90 people were killed each day in car accidents. About 6,400 people were injured every day. Distracted driving is not the only issue for people on American roads today. In addition to driving while under the influence, fatigued driving is a big problem across the nation. By some estimates, one in 25 adult drivers has fallen asleep while driving over the course of the last month. This kind of driving is responsible for at least 72,000 accidents every year, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. If you have been involved in one of these accidents, you may be looking for a personal injury lawyer to help. How do you find the right one?
- Decide what kind of lawyer you need. Like medical professionals, lawyers specialize. Even within the specialty of personal injury law, there are people who specialize further. You may need a car accident lawyer or maybe a truck accident attorney. You need to talk to accident law firms and lawyers with experience with your kind of case. If you were in an accident that was caused by fatigued driving, you need a car accident attorney with experience in this area. Your case may be more complicated and you need to have legal representation that can deal with the complexities.
- Take advantage of the free consultations. All law firms offer free consultations for prospective clients. Take the opportunity to talk to several law firms. Sometimes people are tempted to hire the first law firm that they talk to but that is a real mistake. You need to talk to at least three different law firms so you know what your options are. These sessions give you a chance to get to know the different law firms but they also give the attorneys a chance to look over your case. If you have been in an accident involving distracted driving, you want to know that you have a real case for a lawsuit. Many people assume that personal injury lawyers try to goad people into suing when they have no case but the opposite is true. Often, these lawyers do not collect a payment for their fee unless they win so they are not going to take on a case if they do not think it has a chance.
- Ask the law firm who will be working on your case. Law firms hire a number of legal professionals and others to handle a lot of of the busy work that is involved in their cases. You should ask to meet the people who will be working on your fatigued driving case. You want to be comfortable with the main personal injury attorneys who are working on your case but you also should be comfortable with the people who are working with them.andnbsp;
- Make sure you understand the billing. All law firms have their own policies for dealing with billing. While the majority of personal injury cases are done on a contingency basis, meaning the firm does not charge a fee unless they win, that does not mean there will be no costs involved in your case. When it comes to this kind of case, there may be research that is done and experts in fatigued driving who are brought in. That all costs something. Depending on the complexity of your case, you may have more charges that you are responsible for so you you should talk to the law firm so that there are no unexpected bills at the end of your case.
- Make sure they have experience inside and outside the courtroom. At least 96% of personal injury cases are decided without ever stepping foot inside a courtroom. You need to have a lawyer who has experience with trials and with negotiations. You do not want to have to go to court but if you do, you want the lawyer by your side to be comfortable in that setting.